Monday 23 February 2009

Kestrels, buzzards and a goosander

I have seen a kestrel on my last three cycle rides home from work: the first two times flying low over the river - and quite fast, and tonight perched in a tree. There is at least one - so probably a pair? in the small wood between Willen lake and the riverside park. Although they are not uncommon birds, I think they are elegant, beautiful birds. We don't have a great variety of birds of prey around here - although I'm sure red kites will be in Milton Keynes soon (I believe they have been seen on the outskirts). Interesting how much changes over time. When I was first in MK, (1976) I never saw buzzards - although there may have been buzzards nearby (e.g. Brickhill). Now we have at least one pair in the woods not far out of Newport and it is not unusual to see them nearby or even circling above the town occasionally. On Saturday I walked through the old cemetary in Newport and spotted a buzzard flying over the field nearby - and on Sunday in the same spot there was a goosander in the river. My husband told me a while back he had seen what he said were strange ducks - which dived - in the river but I couldn't work out what they were from his description. Now, having shown him the illustration in the book we're pretty sure that's what he saw. It was really good to be able to see the bird (a female) so close. Although there are often small numbers - usually a pair - on Willen Lake, they tend to be fairly shy and not too close to the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment