Wednesday 15 July 2009

Lot: 17-19 June




Wednesday 17th June


It has been a very hot day. We did a different walk around the gorge of Alzou today. Again the views of the gorge were wonderful and today we saw the ravens and ac ouple of kites. Then we walked up through woodland onto the plateau.. Apparently the plateau is carboniferous limestone – hence the amazing flowers. There are wild sweet peas, orchids, a very pretty convulvulus, and many flowers I recognise or half recognise but don’t know the names.


There is a pretty black white and brown one which is very common and which we also saw in the alps a few years ago We heard and saw stonechats up on the common before returning to the gorge. Now it is 9.30 and the sun has set but it is still warm and a cuckoo is calling. We have also seen jays freaquently and often closely as we have walked to and from the gite.




Thursday 18th June (or 19th? losing track)


An unsuccessful walk today from the book – mainly on roads. Little wildelife to be seen, except as we sat by the Oydisse (spelling?) I saw a kingfisher fly by. In the evening we walked into R for a meal and walked back the long way reaching the gite about 10.25. when it was just about dark. The sounds on the way were wonderful – calls we couldn’t identify – possibly a frog (but not the marsh frogs); some bats were seen; some very disturbed hoopoes. Jim heard an owl later though I didn’t. What looked like a kestrel flew past me quite close and very fast. Friday 19th June Again I watched the small bird that I had thought might be a siskin. This time I checked on the I-phone again and saw it couldn’t be there was no black bib/head and it had a short stubby beak and matched the serin – which I had never even heard of.

No comments:

Post a Comment