Monday 31 May 2010

Little owls and parakeets

Saw two little owls on Thursday in the oak tree by the bike path into work. I only noticed them because there was a very loud screeching coming from the tree which I thought initially might be a magpie - it did not sound like little owls I have heard in the past. I didn't have my binoculars with me and thought initially when I saw the first owl and heard it that it was a young tawny owl (though the head bobbing should have alerted me). A second owl then appeared and ran up a branch - and having checked out the cries on the RSPB site and having gone back to have another look (the appearing in daylight was another clue!) realised these were little owls. It would be great if they are nesting in this tree or nearby. I will keep a look out.

On Friday at the Chelsea flower show saw a pair of parakeets flying past and into a tree - I know they are breeding in London but still an unusual sight for me though I once saw on in Newport Pagnell - who knows what it was doing there!

No comments:

Post a Comment