Saturday 9 January 2010

Still in "the big freeze"




So according to the media this is the "big freeze". It has certainly been extremely cold (parts of Scotland a degree warmer than the artic, apparently, the night before last). This morning the plants in the greenhouse had all collapsed. The parsley and the coriander had done very well, but clearly couldn't fight the extremely low temperatures - a bowl of water that had been keeping the vietnamese? or is it thai basil (Alison's) happy has frozen in the greenhouse.


I have started putting out mixes of breadcrumbs, cheese and seeds for the birds on top of a small step ladder - they do come and get a bit but not much, as far as I can see. I think this may be because they are not used to it - I have never put up garden feeders because of the cats...till now - so have gone for it and there is a nut feeder in the front with some seeds in as well and some suet and insects and a fat ball in the back. I think it may take them a while to come to it (if they do). But I think in the the current conditions they desparately need what help we can give them.


I don't think I've mentioned the goldcrests. We have an evergreen shrub in the garden, (see photo) which was there when we came - and was not the right size for the garden. It was already growing out of its space after a couple of years - but we have taken a couple of branches off and kept it because it attracts goldcrests - usually we see one or two, this morning there were two, so I assume it was probably a pair.




We walked through the cemetary this morning, but there was little to be seen down by the river and in the churchyard. Yesterday we saw several ducks, black headed gulls, commorants and a pair of goosanders in the afternoon, which flew off as we walked past. Actually there were some mallards today too - which started quacking as soon as they heard me coming - and were rewarded with some bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment