Friday 8 January 2010

Very snowy and cold...

Our very pretty but very very cold weather continues - which must be very hard for the wildlife. The snow is still fairly deep on the ground and quite crunchy. Last night I heard the owl hooting again, which was good. I say "the owl" - there might be more than one I suppose? But anyway we get the "woo-oo" (not the "too-whit" part). If autumnwatch is still calling for observatinos (or records of hearing them I will send it in).

This morning I had a lovely sunny walk into the field which seemed very quiet at first sight but in fact I soon saw some chaffinches and then a reed bunring (I think... - need to check out the calls) and also a fieldfare and a plover flying over head. Have given up trying to thaw out the pond (I was putting a pan with very hot water on it as recommended - but it is very thick ice and freezes again almost straight away). We have not got feeders in the garden for the birds (because of the cats) but have started putting out a mix of breadcrumbs, seeds and cheese. I've seen a blackbird and robin come and feed, but nothing else yet - wonder whether I should put some crumbs in the flowerbeds where the birds are looking for food?

No comments:

Post a Comment